Grow Diary: Broccoli
- Days To Germination: 7-10. Days to Maturity: 90. Planting Depth: 1/8 inch. Spacing, Row: 24-36 inches.
- Sow directly into the garden or trays. Cover seeds with 1/8 inch of fine soil. Keep soil moderately moist during germination.
- Space plants 18 to 24 inches apart in rows spaced 2 to 3 feet apart depending upon available room.
- Broccoli grows best in a mostly sunny location during the cooler parts of the growing season.
- "Soil Association" registered and certified Organic - AP22387. Full growing instructions found below in the product description.
In this experiment, Broccoli (Calabrese), the stuff you most often find on your dinner plate, was grown in the 10L bucket Kratky hydroponics system. As usual plants were started from seed in a germinator using Root Riot Organic Starter Cubes. They were allowed to grow for a week before the seedlings were transferred over to the 10L buckets containing Aqua Vega growing media. Two seedlings were grown per bucket.
The plants grew well enough, although they seemed a little too lanky, growing stems longer than expected especially in the early stages. In addition, as it was the middle of the summer and the conservatory was hotter than normal, the plants sucked up the media like crazy and after approximately a couple of months, the buckets were dry! This meant that the experiment had to be terminated early before they plants even had time to grow the edible flowers that we know of as Broccoli. Key learnings from this test grow were: